7.17.2012

Things we will miss

It might seem silly or even ungrateful, which is the last thing I want to be right now, but after years of dreaming about and hoping the time would come to buy a home, it is with some trepidation that we are leaving a wonderful decade of our lives in Provo. Actually for me it has been a bit longer because I came to BYU as a freshman in 2000, which would be 12 years ago this August. I know for some people they would never choose to live in Provo (or Utah County or even Utah, for that matter) and that many cannot wait for the day they can leave. But for me I have always loved Provo, BYU and the surrounding community. I was one of those young girls who secretly hoped I would be accepted and attend BYU. We are lucky that I received two degrees there and that Chris was able to attend law school here. All great manifestations of the Lord's hand in our lives. We never intended for Provo and the Provo 4th Ward to be "home" for this long. So even though we have not owned here, it is neat to see how we have built and really put down roots someplace. I'm grateful we have. Both our current and former bishops, who are good friends whom we admire very much, counseled new ward members to unpack their bags and become involved no matter how long they would be here. And for us, it's good we did, since our stay was much longer than we would could have guessed! I often think of the Saints in Nauvoo and along the trail to Utah, who built homes, temples, gardens, not knowing how long they would be there but building where they were and leaving a legacy and good deeds for those who would come after them.

We will miss the wonderful friends we've made, both those who are still here and those who are gone. But I hope we can continue those friendships even though I know it will not be quite the same since we won't live right there. As hard as it sometimes is to be in a transient ward and stake, we have met amazing people and had incredible experiences, especially the opportunities given us through service in the Church and callings, that have caused our family, especially for Chris and I to be stretched and forced to grow in ways we probably could not have under other circumstances. It will be strange not to be right downtown where we can walk to everything. Of course there are things that drive us crazy that we will not miss, like the crazy traffic especially during Women's Conference, Education Week, football games, etc. and the annual nuttiness of the Freedom Festival parade. But moving to a more suburban area has it's upsides too; far less noise, sirens, homeless and meth-addict traffic right in front of where you live(!). If I stop and think about it, it's very strange the things we have come to accept as "normal"! Though I will never view where we live as the "inner city" as we've heard some who live elsewhere in Provo refer to this area of Provo (too funny). I am also still going through withdrawals and a bit of a grieving process about leaving Wasatch Elementary. It was a fantastic school. Ian loved it. He loved his amazing kindergartner teacher, Mrs. Whitaker, and did so well. We have mixed emotions about Ian not having the opportunity to do the Chinese Immersion program there, but actually the closer we got to him starting it (even before finding the house and deciding to move) the more unsettled Chris and I had both started to feel about him doing it. I would not be surprised if that is another thing in life we do not understand until years later, but I truly hope it will be okay and is right decision for Ian and not something I will regret or worry about.
We will miss the wonderful Provo Library. I am often there with the kids multiple times a week, especially during the summer. Even things like the displays in their children's department, like the Star Wars one below . . . my boys love the library! We will miss their programming, book and DVD selection and how close we were to it. All things you sometimes take for granted and don't stop to appreciate as fully in the moment, especially when you think you want something else more!
I will miss seeing "Y" mountain and the breath-taking view of Rock Canyon, especially its glow as the sun sets. I am sad we won't attend the Provo Temple regularly and that we are moving away from the new Provo City Center Temple district, though it will always be a part of our family's history because of the connection we had with it when it was announced during general conference and were privileged to attend the groundbreaking. But I know we will have new beautiful views and that even though Provo will not be "home" anymore on a daily basis, there will always be a part me me in Provo. I am grateful for the experiences and opportunities we had while we lived here. It is neat to consider who I have become over the past 12 years since I moved to Provo as an insecure, uncertain 18 year old. The Lord is good to us and blesses us abundantly in the ways we need, wherever we are and I look forward to what he has in store for us next.

Maybe the grass is actually just as green on both sides; each just has different opportunities, all of which can and should be celebrated and enjoyed to the fullest in the moment, even if you sometimes look back over the fence with longing for good times and things passed. But I also know there are plenty more good things to come.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Thanks, Jenny. I needed to hear you say all these things. It has been crazy how fast we have changed direction this time, and I really struggle at times like this to express my sadness and uncertainty- I tend to deal with things by pouring my energy into moving forward, and it is good to reflect and to process in the ways that you are.

I will miss our friends and our life here. I won't miss the sex offenders, the rude guests in our neighborhood, or the the lack of space for our growing family, but I will always have a special place in my heart for the neighborhood, the ward, the stake, and the years which have made you, me, and us who we are.


<3

Stephanie said...

As a friend and neighbor of yours for a few of those years, I just wanted to express how grateful I am for your family. We felt welcomed and loved the very first time we met you. Your roots in the area helped put ours down as well. I will forever be grateful for the lessons we learned from you.