9.08.2019

Go Pack Go! August 29, 2019

A few years ago, Cooper decided that he wanted to be a Green Bay Packers fan.  I'm not a huge NFL fan, but the Packers are my favorite.  We've been conspiring to go to a Packers game since about 2016, but haven't been able to find one that worked in terms of schedule (not a Sunday game), weather, accessibility, and price (I found some tickets last year that were like $180 each for terrible seats. We couldn't do that.).

We found some tickets to the last preseason game of the year for $35 each; the weather was good, and we only live about 5 hours from Lambeau field, so we decided to go for it.  On Thursday the 29th, I took a half day off and picked Cooper up from school.  We jumped in the car and blasted off for Green Bay to see the Packers play the Chiefs.




Cooper slept for the first couple of hours of the trip (probably a good thing, as I made him go to school the next morning), and we pretty much just talked the rest of the way.  Cooper was kind of ambivalent until he started seeing road signs telling us how close we were getting to Green Bay.  By the time we got there (stupid game day traffic!!), he was grinning from ear to ear.  He wrapped his Packers blanket around him like a cape and we walked about 1/2 mile from our parking spot to Lambeau Field.



 We were seriously just stoked to be there.

The burgers were just ok, but Cooper highly recommends the Pack 'n Cheese with bratwurst crumbles!


We had great seats!  Section 117 Row 23, Seats 5 and 6.  Right on the 40-yard line, just behind the Chiefs bench. 
We had a BALL watching the game. We loved watching the Packers play.  There was a pick six that got Cooper whooping and hollering, and we got to see a streaker get knocked down by the Chiefs' safety, Harold Jones-Quartey.  That was awesome.  (SI pictures below-- I didn't get my camera going in time).  Packers streaker tackled by Chiefs' Harold Jones-Quartey (video)

As much fun as we had at the game, I think my favorite moment of the trip was when we rode the escalator down to the Packers' Pro Shop.  When Cooper saw the veritable cornucopia of Packers gear spread out over the acres below him, his jaw literally dropped.  I wish I had caught it on camera.  He was in heaven.  We spent a lot of the third quarter (at his direction) shopping.  We didn't buy the $10,000 crystal-encrusted Packers helmet, but we did find a few things Cooper liked.





I think Cooper was getting nervous about the long drive back home, so once it was clear the Packers were going to win, and with only a couple minutes left on the clock, we decided to head out.







On our way through Titletown (which is awesome and needs more exploration, BTW), we found these cool zoetrope thingies and an awesome field to play on.

Seriously.  The video is showing up on the mobile version.



(Struggling with the YouTube links.  I'll update when I figure that out). 

Cooper and I talked until about 12:45 in the morning, then he snoozed until we got home about 3:15 AM.  It was SUCH an awesome trip!  So glad I got to make these great memories with my little Green Bay buddy!



No comments: