9.15.2009

Time Lapse

This is another "old" post but it was such an odd experience for me that I figured I'd post it now anyways. Last December I took Cooper to the doctor for his one year well check-up (which just so happened to be the same day he came down with strep throat so luckily the doctor swabbed his throat and discovered that...so much for it being a "well" check...). During the appointment the doctor asked if I had thought about doing flu shots for the boys. I remember giving her kind of a weird look, wondering why in the world she was asking me about flu shots when it wasn't the season for those yet, then asking, "When do you usually get those?" to try and figure out why she brought this up. She responded that anytime would be appropriate since it was getting to be that time of the year, though she hadn't heard of any influenza cases yet.

And suddenly I realized it was winter again. A year had passed since Cooper was born. We had made it through the cold, wintry RSV season in Utah with little Cooper just a few months old, had moved to Las Vegas and weathered the heat, then returned to Utah and it was already time for flu shots again! At that moment I had seriously lost any grounding or sense of time; it was the strangest feeling. Luckily it didn't take me long to catch up to speed and remember how quickly time passes. And yet I was still left to wonder where the last 12 months had gone! It honestly felt like time had whirled by me in 12 minutes NOT 12 months!

(And here we are again, another year has FLOWN by! Isn't it amazing how time continues to go faster and faster the older you get? Remember when Christmas seemed to take forever coming each year. And now it's like you can hardly hold on fast enough as the busyness of each day whirls into an entire year lapsed.)

No comments: