9.15.2009

The Ultimate Mix-up

So, funny story. Ian, Cooper and I are driving home the other day when Ian suddenly excitedly remarks: "Mom! I saw John Hannity!" Seriously confused, I cautiously began questioning him (trying to figure out what he was talking about, but not wanting to skew his answers). Here's the rest of our conversation:

Mom: Do you mean Sean Hannity?

Ian: No, Mom. John Hannity.

Mom: Are you sure you don't mean Sean?

Ian: No.

[He is started to really sound exasperated with me. So I decide to let the issue of whether it's John or Sean drop and try to figure out what he is actually talking about...]

Mom: Well, where did you see John Hannity? [Figured I'd just go along with what he was calling him rather than fight with a 3 1/2 year old about it and get nowhere...]

Ian: On that sign, flappy thingy back there.

Mom: What does he look like?

Ian: That black face man.

[It takes me a minute as I process these last two answers but I suddenly remember I saw what he is talking about a few days previously...but due to how hilarious this actually ends up being, I wanted to try and figure out where he got this idea before I said anything else.]

Mom: How do you know who John Hannity is?

Ian: He's on that radio, talk thing.

[Now mind you by this point I am shocked that my 3 1/2 year old has paid enough attention to when I do listen to the Sean Hannity show on KSL, which isn't often, but occasionally. Realizing that it is currently about 2:30 PM MST time, I turn the car radio to KSL 102.7 FM where the Sean Hannity Show plays Monday-Friday from 1:00-4:00 pm ("3 hours a day, that's all we ask," or something like that, right?)]

Mom: Ian, who is this on the radio?

Ian: John Hannity.

Mom: That's right, Ian! [I really am amazed he's picked up his name from his few exposures to him.] But Ian, I think I know who you actually saw on that sign back there. The picture isn't John [Sean] Hannity, that's our president--Barack Obama.

Ian: No Mom, it's John Hannity.

Mom: Okay, Ian, if you say so [Hey, I figure, I tried my best. No use debating endlessly with a 3 year old!!]

I am honestly not sure how he got the two of them confused, but man, if there were ever two people, opinions, standpoints, political views, etc. to get mixed up, this my friend, was one ironic and hilarious instance! I guess if nothing else Sean/John Hannity's voice has been influential via the radio. Just not sure how he ended up fusing President Obama's face/person with Sean Hannity!! My guess is that neither person would be very flattered with such a confusion.

(This actually happened in May 2009 and even months later and after multiple clarifications, Ian still gets confused and refers to President Obama as John/Sean Hannity every so often...gotta love the way preschoolers brains are learning to process information!)

No comments: