3.19.2009

It's a new...

TRUCK! For anyone who knows Chris well, you know he loves anything with a motor--especially come springtime. I think Val once wrote me a "warning" letter when she was in the MTC, giving me a heads up that spring was getting nearer, which meant anything motorized--including a lawn mower--would grab Chris' attention.
But one thing Chris and I know quite well by now is that when the right thing comes along, most the time we know and it just seems like the "right" thing to do; maybe not always the most sane or realistic (hey, it is Chris and I we're talking about!) but workable, doable, and almost always a good thing.

Coincidentally (or maybe it was "meant" to be...) we were parked next to this truck at the Rex Lee Run last Saturday (hmmm, I just had the thought. Maybe this is Chris' silver lining for doing so well at getting into running...). Of course Chris was interested but I didn't take it very seriously at first. Then Chris' dad took it seriously. Then Chris asked me to really think and pray about it. Famous last words eh? At first I kind of "fought" him on that day and had a stubborn Sunday, but by Monday I felt pretty good about things and after having some open dialogue (it was even kind AND constructive!) we had both pretty much come to the conclusion that this was probably the right thing at the right time.

Needless to say Chris is ecstatic to have a truck. He already has a list of things that he will work on (over time of course, I do need to remind him occasionally). It is surprising that he got a truck this soon, especially since it was just Christmas that I made an "official" TRUCK FUND sign for his huge change jar. I will have to let Chris add all the nitty gritty details about the car. I can remember this much--it's a 1990 Toyota (pre-Tacoma), V-6, cab-and-a-half...I think that is about all I know. Oh, that and it fits my double jogging stroller in the back so we can conveniently throw it in the back and go for a jog on the Provo River Trail--which we did Wednesday night and it was fabulous! Chris definitely knows how to appeal to me since we now can haul my motherload of a stroller!
This is serious business.
No, actually it's pretty funny. (Except the part when they keep honking the horn...that gets old REALLY fast.)

3 comments:

Strebel's said...

I love to read your blog... I laugh because somethings never change.. Chris and his car/ motors... Bless you.. How lucky is he to have a patience wife..

Chris said...

1990 Toyota Pickup. Extended cab, regular bed, 3VZ-E V-6, 4x4, Aisin manual hubs, 5-speed manual transmission, alloy wheels, 31x10.50x15 AT tires, 60/40 front bench. Seats five.

My plans are actually pretty tame-- scrape off some old tint, pull out the alarm, cassette deck, 10-disc FM modulated changer, and aftermarket rear speakers, yank the drop-in bedliner. Roll in a herculiner, change the oil and coolant, K&N air filter, single CD in the dash (eventually) new 4" speakers under the dash, NGK plugs, new rear bumper at some point. Way off on the horizon would be new headers and exhaust, but that would probably come after an engine rebuild, and I would prefer to not go there if I don't have to.

Simple, see?

Natalie said...

Congrats on gettting a new car! How fun! :) Trucks are so convenient sometimes!