3.12.2009

Yay for Running!

We are so excited for the Rex Lee Run this Saturday! We are doing the 5K, along with a bunch of our family members.

We'll for sure post pictures after the race. Today I went to the law school and went with Chris and the boys to a presentation by Prof. Tom Lee (son of Rex Lee) and Dean Hansen who knew Rex Lee back in the early days of the law school. It is inspiring every time I hear about this great man. Prof. Lee quote a scripture, Doctrine and Covenants 58:27 " Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;" He talked about how Rex Lee was an example of this, that he never intended to be the founding Dean of the J. Reuben Clark Law School or the president of BYU, or even the Solicitor General, but he was always anxiously engaged in looking for causes to be involved in, and as a result he led a full, energetic, enthusiastic life. He loved people and people felt loved by him. I am grateful for the legacy and inspiration Rex Lee is to me. It helps me to consider how I can be anxiously engaged and live my life in such a way to do great things within my sphere of influence. Also, I love that Rex Lee started running in his late 30's! That makes me feel like I can continue to make running an important part of our family. Prof. Lee said Rex Lee probably ran 12 marathons and because of his enthusiasm for running, all 5 of Prof. Lee's sister, his brother, himself and his mother have been runners. He said they used to go on Saturday morning runs as a family. I love that! And I love to see a wonderful example of the opportunities we have for good, to influence and to love and live life to its fullest.
This is before the July 4th 5K we did in Vegas; Chris' first. I promise it's addicting and so much fun to be with so many people who love to run (or hate it but still do it!) You can still register for the run: http://rexleerun.byu.edu/index.php
This is after the 5K our stake does twice a year (this was last October). I ran with the boys in the jogger. Luckily my knee has been doing better since then though I still am wearing the dang knee brace since it is still tender.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hope you have fun running! I wish I could run with you, but it's been over a month since I've jogged more than 1/2 a block...sad I know. But Good for YOU!

Lynette said...

Have fun with your run. I wish I was up there. How about you come down next weekend for a 5k??? It's at the Springs Preserve and with Cirque Du Soloie (sp??) with free concerts, massages, a circus and face painting for the kids....it's gonna be fun:))))) Anyway, I'm glad you've posted again I love keeping up with your cute family.

kate said...

sounds fun! i did it last year for a friend's little boy that has cancer...don't you just love running as a family? my husband and i run sometimes together and i love it! though izak (my 4-year-old) is getting pretty sick of the jogging stroller, so i'm not sure how much longer that'll last...