7.25.2008

Daddy Days

Chris is right when he says that I often have a hard time when he spends time with his Dad; I'm embarrassed to say that, but I guess I just get jealous. Time and time again he has explained to me that loving his dad and spending time with him don't make him love me or like spending time with me any less (aka there is enough Chris to go around!). I appreciate Chris' patience with me and hope I can "grow up" a little more when it comes to this and other vices I have. But seeing Chris and Ian spend time together and wanting them to have a good relationship like Chris has built with his dad helps me to realize I should not resent or devalue the friendship he has with his dad. I am grateful for the boys and men in my life who are teaching me to be less selfish and to value the time and energy that goes into making relationships thrive and last.

On that note, this is Ian's last Home Depot Project Days that Chris takes him to the first Saturday of every month (Chris got really excited at the end of June and almost showed up a week early thinking it was the first week of July already!). Even though I have never gone, this has become something I look forward to (not just because I get some time alone; I still have the Coop), but because I am realizing how important it is for Chris and Ian to build a strong father-son connection that hopefully will be something they enjoy through Ian's childhood, likely frightful teenage years, and into adulthood. Ian adores his daddy and Chris can't get enough of his little buddy, Ian--and that is truly something priceless for a mother to observe. This Saturday is another Project Day and I'm excited, again, for Chris and Ian to go together. They are making a flag holder (See, I look forward to it so much I even have to visit the website early on so Ian can know what he's going to build!).
June's project was a bird house. Ian was so excited to bring it home and wanted a bird to come live in it right then. Unfortunately all that has decided to move in so far was a bug that seriously freaked Ian out more than I have ever seen (or heard)! While Andrea was here visiting, Ian took her outside to show her the bird house, which was sitting out on our patio. He looked inside and saw a bug and screamed so loud I thought he was hurt. He took off running inside the house and took quite awhile to calm down. Luckily I got the insect removed from the house and Ian resumed parking McQueen inside. I guess he figured until a bird decides to show up, he may as well get some use out of it, as long as those bugs stay away! (Aside: Notice how Ian crosses his legs. He often sits like that when he is playing. Talk about being flexible!)
I'm not sure what this face was (maybe Chris will have to fill in details here...) but here is Ian's completed project--painted and all. So cute!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"Fathers are so special!" I think it's fun to see husbands play with their kids. Shows us how important it is for kids to have daddies! :)