7.25.2008

It's no secret...it's a sweltering jungle out here!

My sister Andrea graduated from Pleasant Grove High School (Go Vikings!) at the end of May. For her graduation present, we bought her a one-way plane ticket to fly down to Vegas, stay with us for a few days, and then help me by driving back back with the boys and me to Utah (yes, it was a mildly selfish gift, but I did take her to dinner while she was here, so I feel a little less guilty about it; though she does hate flying and driving, so I guess it goes to show she really loves us that she would do both in the same week!). One day while she was here we decided to take the boys to Sigfried and Roy's Secret Garden and Dolphin Habitat at the Mirage to see the tigers and the dolphins. This was my first time going to the Strip without Chris, so I was a little nervous, especially taking the boys, but everything was fine and we had a great time.
"I want to touch the dol-phiiiiiinnnnnnn!!!!" That is exactly what Ian was screaming in this picture. I'm not exactly sure where he got this idea. And was actually pretty surprised that he even had any interest in touching them considering his last opportunity to touch an ocean-based creature (see our "Creepy Lobsters" post). But he was seriously irate that Andrea and I would not (or could not, in my opinion) let him touch the dolphins...(sigh)....the joy of trying to convince a 3-year-old that we aren't being mean but are just following the rules.
My cute sister, Andrea. Thanks so much An, for coming down and playing with us and for helping on the ride home; I know it was a long time in the car and that the boys were hard to handle at times. You're wonderful. We love you and are so excited that you'll be in Provo this fall going to BYU!
"Come on, Ian, grrr!" Jenny attempts to coax Ian from behind the camera. "Grrrr!!!" says Andrea. "Why are grownups so weird? What is Andrea doing?" puzzles Ian. You're so much fun, An, we love ya!
"Okay. Now I'm ready to growl." ("What? I'm two. What else do you expect? I'm in charge. I decide when and how things happen. Remember?)
The only real downside to the day was that it was freakin' hot; like, not just a little hot. At first we were doing okay. It was warm (probably upper 90's, lower 100's), but then we entered the Secret Garden and the lovely misters that help the animals feel so cozy and good inside, trying to help them feel like they are at home and not in cages in the middle of a desert metropolis...well, we definitely didn't feel at home! Suddenly, not only was it 100 degrees outside, but now it was humid! I was again thankful that as hot as it gets in Vegas, we do get much (if any, most days) humidity. I would take the dry heat over the sweaty, sticky, smothering feeling any day.
My favorite part was the baby tigers. Aren't they absolutely adorable! Seriously melted my heart. The little nursery for the cubs was darling. I would say overall the $15 (adult price) entrance fee was pretty well worth it, but the babies were the clincher for me. The dolphin habitat is a research facility so they don't have schedule shows (which they remind you of multiple times throughout your visit) so we didn't get to see the dolphins do much but what we did see what pretty cool. We had a fun time and the only thing I'd recommend is not to go at noon in the middle of the summer. LOL. Obviously I am not a local Vegan yet! That, and ignore the ornery workers who sarcastically announce over the PA system as you are walking away from the exihibit: "Thanks to all of you who stayed up in the terraced area and listened to the important information I had to give you." Oh well. We figured we couldn't get in that much trouble (plus we hadn't know we were supposed to wait there anyways!)

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Dang. I take some good pictures. It's good to be me :) It's great to have some recognition in the blog besides my flat tummy :p And your new teal and brown themed background with Hawaiian flowers is adorable, by the way :)