3.10.2008

Flash 103, Arsenal 99


We went to another basketball game on the night of February 29th-- this makes more games in the last month than I have been to in the preceding five years combined. This time it was the Utah Flash, the Jazz/Celtics D-League team which was just started this year versus the Anaheim Arsenal (also, obviously, a brand new D-league team).

We got the tickets for free, so I was totally willing to go down to the McKay Events Center and check it out. I am generally not exactly what you would call a fanatical basketball fan (meaning that I pretty much think that the NBA is overwhelmingly populated with foul, uneducated, undisciplined, overcompensated, egotistical whiners whom I refuse to enrich with an investment of either my time or my money.) I was pretty much proven right by the wanna-bes in the Flash and Arsenal during the first half-- there was a lot of showboating, ball-hogging, and bumping/grabbing/pushing going on, and I was disappointed that I didn't have many opportunities to point out good sportsmanship to my son and my young men. However, during the second half, both teams kind of settled down and played some basketball and we had a good time watching them.


I asked Ian what he wanted to eat, and he was really excited to have a hot dog and a drink-- and once he had nibbled it down to the point that he could get his hands on it, he was having a ball feeding himself. He only wanted ketchup and little pickles (relish) on it, but I am proud of him for entering the manly fold of the Chicago Dog.

We also got these things called Cheer Stix. Basically they are a pair of long, cheap, logo-laden balloons that make a funny sound when banged together. Someone we know really got into this.

However, it didn't take long for Ian (and all the boys) to realize that the Cheer Stix were also quite useful for beating on each other. I was really proud of Ian because he had no fear-- he just waded in and started hitting kids six or seven times his size. I am really glad that all of my young men are such good kids and are so tolerant and indulgent toward him!


We had a good time together. Aunt Val just happened to be at the same game and came by to see us. She took a couple of pictures of us and, of course, Ian looked cute in all of them. This is the only one of me that I will deign to display in a public forum!

1 comment:

Frazier Family said...

Yes...Ian and Max had fun playing baseball with those balloon things the other day. They were cute!