10.17.2008

The Young and the Computer Literate

I find it quick amusing when my grandma gets totally freaked out when my three year old little brother maneuvers around on the computer and she can't figure out what he did or how to do the same thing. In a lot of ways, I see this early technology as a blessing and a curse. Ian is able to practice his letters on sites such as Starfall and he loves PBS Kids, which is also educational, but I worry that he is dependent on the computer and TV for entertainment. I try to limit his usage each day and he still plays well, both inside and out, so I don't think I have too much to be worried about. But it really does make you wonder--if our 3 year olds are doing this much on the computer/internet now--what in the world will it be like when they have 3 year olds of their own? It's amazing to think how much it's changed in my lifetime, let alone the progress that continue to be made; I can't even imagine what it'll be like 20, 30, 50 years from now.

No comments: