10.17.2008

The Power of Church Magazines in our Homes

During my masters I had a friend, Jenae Jory (now Parker-she got married about 2 weeks after our internship ended) who did her summer internship at the state hospital with me. During lunchtime I would often find her reading the General Conference issue of the Ensign from the previous conference. I told her that I often tried to read through all the talks before the next conference but had not been successful yet. I don't remember our exact conversation but I do remember being impressed that she made it a priority to read and study all the conference talks. That was something I wanted to do.

I am pleased (no bragging intended!) to say that soon after admiring Jenae's dedication I have since read each one in its entirety. And it has been wonderful! I am already so excited for November's issue to come out next month so I can start reading the amazing talks from this conference. There are always inspiring messages during conference, but this conference I was amazed how many were "for me." So I am even more excited to review them and find ways to implement the principle and become a little better.

Which brings me to my current effort to read the regular monthly Ensign on a more regular basis. It's amazing how many Ensigns we've had pile up over the years, many of which have probably only been thumbed through. I always get excited when the magazines arrive in the mail, and yet usually they end up in our stack of magazines and hardly get touched, until a few months later when I need to make room for the next one! So, using the same method that has helped me successfully read the Conference Ensigns--reading an article or two as part of my scripture study each day--I am pleased that I have read almost the entire October Ensign this month! And it has been wonderful. I have been struggling lately and the Ensign has buoyed me up and been somewhat of a lifeline when I can't seem to feel the Spirit or find the motivation to do other things I know I need to do. I have been inspired to improve in various ways as I read about real people, members of the Church, who have had experiences and increased their faith. I think it can sometimes be easy to forget that the Church magazines include great doctrine and opportunities to learn and increase our faith.

I also realized that our Friend has been neglected too. We take the current month's to church with us in Ian's church bag and sometimes look through it during sacrament meeting. And once in awhile we read a story for Family Home Evening. But overall, I realized we are under utilizing it. So yesterday during the day I sat down with Ian and read through a few stories. I realized we spent lots of time reading books (which is wonderful) but that I also want to make sure I am teaching my children the gospel, and the Friend seems like an easy way to do this. Ian is at the age where he is soaking everything in like a sponge and often repeats things that I am amazed he even remembers! I hope that as I read stories from the Friend that this can be another way that I can be better at teaching my children the gospel each day.

I am leaving both the Ensign and Friend in places around the house where I will remember to pick them up and read them. It's not that I feel like I have to read each magazine from cover to cover each month, but I hope that I will. Since I know how much strength I gain and how much power there is in their messages. I know these magazines are another way that the Lord sends hope and guidance into our homes. They contain teachings of our prophets, so they really can be considered latter-day scripture and revelation that comes directly into our homes each month. They are specific for the time in which we live, with talks centered on current issues and struggles. I know they are inspired. And during these trying latter-days I know our family needs whatever we can to be strong amidst the storms that surround us. My hope is that we can better use these words as tools to strengthen our resolve, faith and testimonies.

2 comments:

Angie said...

I too neglect my Ensign. I took it to work with me one night and was able to read quite a bit. I need to continue doing that. You are such a great example. Thank you for sharing and giving others strength to remember what we have to do and need to do.

Jenae said...

Whoa, I was surprised to find my name in your blog. I just was catching up on the posts in your blog. Thanks for the reminder about how I used to be diligent... :) I miss you (but not the state hospital)!