10.17.2008

So Distracted!

Two ironies need to be mentioned before I get to the meat of this post:

1) When I first had the idea for this post, I had left Ian on my bed where we were going to have quiet time and read stories because I needed to go to the bathroom (I figured that was a fair reason to have him wait for a minute). But of course when I went in the bathroom I "had" to take the dry clothes out of the dryer and switch the clothes in the washer to the dryer. By this time Ian was screaming, "Mom! Where are you?" and had gotten off the bed and found me in the bathroom. It was as if he seriously was wondering: "What happened to my mom?!!" What happened to her indeed! Poor distracted mother. I also then had to write myself a note to remember this idea for when I had time to type the post. Okay. Now I was ready for storytime. Poor Ian.

2) Chris left tonight around 8 pm to go back to school to work on a paper that is due Monday. He made me pinkie swear I would go to bed at 11 pm. I told him I would, not thinking it would be a hard promise to keep. If you look at the time stamp on this post you'll notice I broke my promise since it is now 11:35 pm and I am still writing this. I am also currently chatting with him, apologizing profusely that I didn't make it to bed at 11, but that this post will be worth it, especially considering the irony of it all!

Those are only two of the many examples of how distracted I get. It's why I am realizing I need to leave my computer off during the day because if I get on to hurry and do "one thing" it turns into way longer than that and my poor kids (or husband) get forgotten. I think I just have so much to do, so much on my mind, that I honestly don't know how to process it or get it done most of the time! My biggest effort right now is to reorganize and reprioritize. Tonight since Chris was gone I let myself have some "me" time and worked on the blog (as I'm sure you've noticed). There are many other things I could have, should have been doing, but I figured I'd let myself relax and play for a little bit. It doesn't mean I don't feel guilty or that I might regret it tomorrow when I wish the kitchen floor had been mopped when the boys were in bed. Or when I see the pile of stuff on my desk that still needs to be sorted through. But I really am trying to be more balanced. Chris and I often talk about Brigham Young's advice to the Saints that they have 8 hours of work, 8 hours of play (probably not his words) and 8 hours of sleep. Wow, I don't think it happens that way very often. I also often wonder why my house never gets very clean, but I am such a distracted cleaner; I walk from room to room with my hands full of stuff rather than being more efficient and focusing on one room/thing at a time! It would probably be really funny to be a fly on the wall and watch me wander around like crazy. Anyways, there is plenty more to say on this subject, but I really should go to bed for tonight. Though I do have one final thought, then a funny story that I received as an email a few years ago that I find all too fitting (and ironic, considering I broke my 11 pm curfew tonight!).

I often tell Chris that I can relate far too much with the "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" type books. Sigh. I am thinking I could probably star in and write one of my own books like that; I think I'd probably call it, "If You Give a Mommy a Minute." (I definitely would have to find someone else to illustrate it though!)

You may have heard of or read this before, but I love it, mostly because it's the story of my life!

"Mom and Dad
were watching TV when Mom said, "I'm tired, and it's getting late. I think I'll go to bed.” She went to the kitchen to make sandwiches for the next day's lunches. Rinsed out the popcorn bowls, took meat out of the freezer for supper the following evening, checked the cereal box levels, filled the sugar container, put spoons and bowls on the table and started the coffee pot for brewing the next morning. She then put some wet clothes in the dryer, put a load of clothes into the washer, ironed a shirt and secured a loose button. She picked up the game pieces left on the table, put the phone back on the charger and put the telephone book into the drawer. She watered the plants, emptied a wastebasket and hung up a towel to dry. She yawned and stretched and headed for the bedroom. She stopped by the desk and wrote a note to the teacher, counted out some cash for the field trip, and pulled a text book out from hiding under the chair. She signed a birthday card for a friend, addressed and stamped the envelope and wrote a quick note for the grocery store. She put both near her purse. Mom then washed her face with 3 in 1 cleanser, put on her night solution and age fighting moisturizer, brushed and flossed her teeth and filed her nails. Dad called out, "I thought you were going to bed." "I'm on my way," she said. She put some water into the dog's dish and put the cat outside, then made sure the doors were locked and the patio light was on. She looked in on each of the kids and turned out their bedside lamps and TV's, hung up a shirt, threw some dirty socks into the hamper, and had a brief conversation with the one up still doing homework. In her own room, she set the alarm; laid out clothing for the next day, straightened up the shoe rack. She added three things to her 6 most important things to do list. She said her prayers, and visualized the accomplishment of her goals. About that time, Dad turned off the TV and announced to no one in particular. "I'm going to bed." And he did...without another thought."

With that said, I think I'll go to bed (a.k.a. chat with Chris and tell him I'll see him in a few hours, turn off my computer, take out my contacts, brush my teeth, wash my face, check to make sure the door is locked, check on the boys, say my prayers...you get the picture...).

Good night!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I am right there with you %100.

Angie said...

How funny. I agree. I am so there and it describes Keith's mom so perfectly!

Frazier Family said...

Funny~ I have to admit I haven't looked at your blog for a while :( I haven't been blogging much, but it was fun to look at. I love your new background too. It looks great!

Winn Family said...

Story of my life....and forgetting the kids and fam---yup---and needing to prioritize....yup...and needing the computer off during the day and to limit myself to like--3 times a week--oh the time I'd could spend doing other things. And I love that story of the husband and wife---AHHH, all of this, so true! You're awesome, I love reading your posts!

The Lowder Family said...

Jenny, I found your blog off of Keiths blog. Sounds like life has been very buisy as it has for all of us. Good to see you and Chris are doing good. Looks like its a lot of work having kid, but Im sure it is fun.
Brian Lowder

Melanie said...

I'm definitely the same way! Last night I fell asleep while watching a movie and when it ended, I decided to go right to bed. Almost 2 hours later, I was finally in bed! Silly moms! We can always find something more to be done... :-p