10.17.2008

Like Father, Like Son/Build Where You Are

It would come as no surprise to most people that one of the things Chris really looks forward to having when we get a house is the garage. So it probably shouldn't have taken me by too much surprise when I had the following cute conversation with Ian this morning:

I was making the bed in my room and Ian was playing with some books and knick knacks from our bookcase. He likes to climb up on the rocking chair and get stuff down. Sometimes I try to stop him from doing this, but most often I try to remind myself that most of those little things don't have much meaning really (not enough to get frustrated with Ian, for sure) and they honestly come more alive when I do allow him to carefully play with them.

This morning he got down a miniature pink resin house that my dad brought me back from San Francisco years ago. Ian was saying he wanted to live in a house like this. I asked him what he wanted in a house and he replied: "A garage." Then I asked him what he'd been in the garage. He said: "A car." I had to laugh. He then said he was playing on the grass outside the little resin house. I asked him if he wanted a backyard in his house someday too. His thoughtful reply: "We don't have a backyard right now?" I said, no, not really, but we do have a side yard kind of. (And as a side note, he said the house was in Seattle. Not sure where he got that from, or where he has heard about Seattle lately! But it was fun to tell him that our former neighbors, Shayne and Stephanie Holmes, who we love and miss, live in Seattle now.)

It is refreshing for me to write that we really are quite content where we are; not that we want to live in an apartment forever! But it's nice to not be whining or complaining or just dreading life until we "arrive" and get a house. I really am proud of myself that I don't feel like I am waiting to be happy or have life actually begin when we move into a house. The context in which Chris and I most often dream about having a house is just what Ian was talking about--a backyard. That really is the thing we most want for our boys. And there are many days when we say what Ian really needs right then is a backyard to go run and dig in. I know we will love having a house someday; it will be wonderful to have more space, hopefully more rooms and I would like to decorate and make our house "cute." I really am excited about the prospects of this, but it is so nice to not be wishing away these good years of our lives just because we aren't in a house yet.

One of the most important and life-changing lessons I learned in Nauvoo was that you build where you are. The Saints in Nauvoo didn't stop living because there was the chance that they would not be there long. And it's not like they had any certainty with which to believe they would be there long, considering their recent history, since many of them had left homes in Kirtland and then were driven out of Missouri. They also could have drug their feet about completing the Nauvoo Temple when at that point it was almost certain that they would not be able to enjoy it for long. And yet they went forward faithfully; they planted gardens, bettered their homes and made a good life for themselves exactly where they were, not thinking about the "what-ifs" of when it would end or where they would go next. I am sure there were doubts and that not everyone was strong constantly, but anyone who has visited Nauvoo should be able to sense of the permanency and livelihood that existed in Nauvoo because the Saints chose to make a good life for their families and serve the Lord where they were presently.

When we moved to our first apartment I never would have imagined being here 6 years later (grant it we are now in our third apartment in the ward!). Our bishop (former and present) shares a message with new members in our ward which always impresses me. He says essentially that during the time they live here, this is their ward, that they should unpack their bags and become involved, whether it is for two months, two years or ten. Which both of them can speak for from personal, since former Bishop Parry (who is now President Parry, second counselor in our stake presidency) and his family only intended to live her maybe a few years, if that, then build a house and move on in life. They have now been here close to 15 years, I believe. Our current bishop, Bishop Miller, and his family were ready to buy a house when he was called to be bishop a year and a half ago. What faith that takes. Their examples are a constant reminder to me that the Lord knows better than we do. I think sometimes our goals and expectations can get in the way of what the Lord wants for us and know is best--if we let them. I am learning to be still and let the Lord guide our life, because I truly know he can do better things that I can. I am realizing that when I get out of the way and am content with where I am much happier. I also know it is our choice each day to respond this way to whatever challenges or situations we encounter.

2 comments:

Angie said...

It is so true that we need to embrace the situation that we are in instead of always looking ahead with "I can't wait until..." I am always waiting and wishing for school to be done and to get in a house and get out of our ward. I need to take your example and really embrace our short tme that we have left here. THank you for your words of wisdom. I really needed it!

Stephanie said...

Okay, I can tell we miss you guys too when Ian randomly mentions Seattle and it makes my day. Thanks for putting that in there.