9.22.2008

Learning Curve

No one who knows me even a little bit will be surprised to know that I have been teaching Ian about cars. It's just natural for me, and I can't even enunciate how proud I was when, in mid-July, Ian started to ask us questions about the cars he would see in the parking lot. Friday night Ian and I were walking across the parking lot of our local Smith's and we were looking at all the cars. He was riding on my shoulders and we were having the following conversation:

Ian: I like that car. We should get one of those.
Me: That is a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I like those, too.
Ian: Oooh! I really like that one, dad. What is it?
Me: That is a chevy suburban. Let me guess. You like that one because it has two tv sets in the ceiling, right?
Ian: Yeah. It's pretty cool. We should watch Cars.
Ian: Whoa! What is that one, daddy? I like that one.
Me: Which one? The brown one? That is a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I like that one, too.
Ian: No, Dad not that one.
Me: The silver Chevy Cobalt?
Ian: No, Daddy! The red one. (he points)
Me: Um, Ian... That's a shopping cart.
Ian: I know. I get to drive them at Macey's. They're pretty cool.

Now, riding lawnmowers, I get. Go-karts, I get. Heck, I even like electric motorcycles. But shopping carts... Wow.

I guess we probably could fit a small-block chevy in there...

3 comments:

Angie said...

LOL, that's hilarious! How cute of Ian.

Robyn said...

That is really funny!

Melanie said...

How funny! Gotta love those cute moments that just make you laugh!