9.24.2008

The Next Elders Infanger

My parents gave Ian this Sunday outfit for his birthday and he looks so handsome. He reminded me of a little missionary so I had to take pictures.
This picture reminded me of when we read scriptures with Ian at night--we read verses from his "big" blue Book of Mormon that we've gotten from the corresponding pictures/verses in his Book of Mormon Reader. In Las Vegas Ian started a few "scripture-reading" rituals. One was he would always say: "That makes us happy!" in a chipper voice right after we finished reading scriptures. He said it even after verses about murder and secret combinations. It was really funny. Most of the time he pays pretty close attention and will even repeat words we are saying, so I know he's listening, for the most part. But when he'd say this after verses like this, I'd just have to laugh and try to explain that it doesn't make us happy that that happened, but that we can choose a better way, and that will make us happy. The other habit he started was he would "have" to look through the pictures at the start of the blue Book of Mormon and label what they are. He knows Jesus, Joseph Smith, Christ visiting the Americas. He needs a little help with Lehi and the Liahona and Nephi on the boat. He forgets Samuel's name, but likes to say that he jumped off the wall. He often gets Moroni right, but sometimes calls him Ramoni (we giggle about that; I think that is a Cars influence). When we get to the page with Moroni putting the gold plates in the ground, our dialog goes like this:

Mom: Who is that?
Ian: Moroni
Mom: What are those?
Ian: The gold plates.
Mom: Where is he putting them?
Ian: In the hole.
Mom: Who finds them?
Ian: Joseph Smith [turning back to the picture of Joseph Smith]
Mom: What does Joseph Smith make out of the gold plates?
Ian: The Book of Mormon! [as he slams the book shut and looks at the cover]
Mom: And whose book is this?
Ian: Ian's! [hugging it, smiling, shaking side to side]

It is really cute! From the mouth of babes. It really is no wonder that Christ told us over and over to become as little children.This picture totally made me think of missionaries on splits! LOL. I am sure the local elders would kill for a ride like this to tract from. My cute boys. I am excited for them to be missionaries someday. I often mention to Ian that he will go on a mission when he is older. We have even started savings accounts for both boys, which is fun.

I also have been thinking a lot about serving a mission with Chris someday. I did not get the chance to serve a full-time mission when I was 21, but have started to read Preach My Gospel again and am striving to increase my abilities to be a better member missionary. I know I have plenty of room to grow in this area! My patriarchal blessing talks about missionary work, so I know it is a fear I need to face and with faith let the Lord increase my abilities and become a tool in His hands to bring people to Christ, because I know how important it is; sometimes it's just hard for me to open my mouth (About this at least! Maybe I just need to learn to start talking about the right thing!!)

3 comments:

Lisa Marie said...

Is there anything cuter than a little boy wearing a tie? I don't think so. Super cute.

Stephanie said...

So cute! It makes me think that it might be really fun to have a boy. You can bring Ian over to my house for a good laugh any day I would even let him sit in the Camry if that would get him giggling.

Frazier Family said...

He does look like a little missionary. I'm way impressed with the Moroni conversation too! I hope we can come visit you soon...or you visit us soon :)