9.15.2008

Maybe I can be crafty!

Anyone who ever knew about my last cross-stitch knows it was a project that spanned many years. I began to wonder if I would finish it before I had grandchildren, but I finally did finish it before Ian was born and am super proud of my accomplishments. I love seeing it hanging in the boys' room.

So when we got some cute "IAN" block letters from our friends, Jared and Julie Bristow, when Ian was born I did the most sensible thing I could--I hung them on the wall just as they were--nice, lacquered white. Then of course we had Cooper and I decided he needed his name on our wall too. So I went to Roberts and found some letters. But these were unfinished, so of course I had to paint Ian's too. And rather than making the project as simple as possible (let's be honest, I know nothing about painting) I decided that I'd paint the front of the letters blue and the sides accent colors from the boys' room (red, cream, green). This ended up looking super cute when it was done (I'm glad I did it) but ended up being a huge pain during the process! I will have to post pictures when I get them hung up, but they are finally done (after about 9 months!).
So here is my evidence that I can be crafty. Actually it was pretty fun. What I've realized is that I don't just sit down and work on other projects well (unless they are on the computer or involve my calling or responsibilities like Law Partners). This really helped me realize I need to take time for myself and hobbies. Like I need to play my poor neglected piano...there are a lot of things I have let go over the last few years. I think being "busy" with school and kids, I have forgotten to let myself be and fill my life with things I love. Sometimes I am not even quite sure who I am or what I like or want to be or do. Anyways, I am trying to recommit to doing more of the little things that matter instead of staying busy with lots of things that probably aren't as important for my personal and family's well-being. Maybe this is one of those "good, better, best "that Elder Oaks spoke about a few conferences ago.

I also have to note that while I was having fun finishing my project in the living room, Chris was in the kitchen baking Ian's birthday cake:
What a cute daddy! I will post soon about Ian's birthday, including pictures of Chris' awesome decorated cake. I love that there are no gender boundaries in our marriage as to "who" does what. I have to say we have a pretty dang good set-up. Brad Dowd, a mutual friend of ours from Pleasant Grove (actually the person who set us up on our first "blind" date) always told Chris he would make someone a really good wife because of all the things he did, like cooking. I definitely can't complain about the balance and contribution Chris brings to our marriage and to me. I need him in so many ways!

I also just realized that as I am writing this post, Chris is--again--in the kitchen baking--this time it is chocolate chip cookies for me because I said a treat sounded good tonight. What a sweetheart. I definitely am so lucky. Oh, and while I'm on the subject and bragging about Chris' cooking and kindness, he made Sunday dinner yesterday and a vegetarian lasagna (pretty much made up the recipe, his first time doing one like this) Saturday for my newly assigned visiting teachee, Casey Jensen, who just had twin girls last week. The Jensens were more than impressed. I told them if it was good I was going to take credit and if it wasn't, I'd tell them Chris made it. Of course, they said it tasted great and I ended up giving credit to Chris anyways. He is cute about cooking. I like that he enjoys doing it, and I definitely can't complain if he likes doing it!

1 comment:

kate said...

hi jenny!
i could totally relate to this post about sometimes not knowing who you are or your interests anymore. that's something i've noticed about myself too! it's a hard balance with a family i think. that's awesome that chris cooks, dave loves to cook too and we've decide when he finally has a regular 9-5 job, he'll cook and i'll clean. he likes to cook much more than i do!