2.07.2008

Doing Mommy Time!

Yes, for all who were worried that I had dropped off of the face of the earth, I am still alive...very busy and tired, but alive. I have often heard moms said that the third child was where things got crazy; I must be a wuss. I love my boys and I am so glad I can be home with them all day. But it is BUSY! Luckily Chris has done a fantastic job keeping up with this blog (thank you, babe! Plus, let's be honest--Chris is A LOT funnier than I am. My posts will likely not have the same flair as his). But Chris has been constantly asking me (or bugging me...) when I am going to post something. I just kept telling him I was too busy. Seriously though, my internet time has cut down a lot since adding #2. It has been a long 2 months. It is sad in some ways that Cooper isn't that tiny, little newborn anymore, but now he is starting to smile, coo, and respond to our smiles and words, so that is very exciting! I had a realization yesterday that the time when they are little is so precious and it does go by so fast, but that you are so tired and recovering yourself, that it is sometimes hard to enjoy it (aka at 1:00 a.m. and 3:00 a.m. when you can hardly get yourself out of bed to do another nighttime feeding). So in a lot of ways I am sad that Cooper is getting bigger and older, because I do love the sweet newborn stage. But now I am loving his awareness and emerging personality. I guess that is the key to enjoying life--enjoy each season and stage for what they bring.
Luckily, Mommyhood is also attemptimg to teach me to slow down and enjoy what matters most. It is sad that this is so hard for me (it was even hard when I was getting paid $20/hour to play with my child clients; something seems wrong with that....maybe I do really have issues, Chris!). I made a conscious choice to sit down and play with Cooper in these pictures. Most of the time, that is what it takes for me to slow down and stop worrying about and doing other things, like housework or other responsibilities. It really does seem silly that playing, relaxing, just sitting and enjoying people, especially my kids and husband is so hard. Sigh. I probably sound melancholy (see, most of you are probably wishing I hadn't posted! Chris, I'll just blame it on you for wanting me to...ha ha!). Sometimes it is interesting coming face to face with things you need to change and how you need to be better. No matter how far I have to go, I do love my boys--all three of them and am grateful for all they teach me. And most of all, for their patience. Mommy knows she has a long ways to go, but she is so glad she has the sweetest boys in the world to help her along the way.
Look at that face! With such cute kids, it is amazing I do find time for anything else. Cooper is getting to be cuter and more fun each day.

3 comments:

Jeannette said...

Hey Jenny-
Just wanted to let you know I very much identified with all three of your posts, thanks for taking the time to write them! Having two kids, especially so close together, is definitely a challenge in ways you can't really prepare for. The good news is that you're at the 2 month mark so everything will just keep getting better (not necessarily easier).
I totally know what you mean when you said you need to have something to look forward to, otherwise we'd all go crazy with the never-ending tedious tasks that accompany motherhood. Good luck getting started running; maybe by next year you can schedule a trip to Indianapolis and we can run the Life 500 Festival Mini Marathon together (there's no way I'll be ready for it this year).

Unknown said...

Cooper looks so much like Ian to me!! I'm glad you are taking the time to enjoy each stage, that's something I need to learn how to do better...:)

Laura said...

Jenny-
Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I SOOOO agree. I also feel like I sometimes have to force myself to put down whatever non-essential thing I am doing to play with my boys. I often feel guilty about that. Thank you for helping me see that I am not the only one who struggles with things like that. I will also try to do better at taking time to enjoy the sall things...the truly important things...in this life!

-Laura Ellis