2.19.2008

Night at the Museum

I have this whole week off from school for Spring Break. Evidently it is spring somewhere, but I haven't seen any crocuses around here yet. (Translation: I have a strong desire to wear sandals and frostbite in every toe.) In any event, it means that I am actually getting to see Jenny and the boys a little more than normal, and that is quite nice. I miss them when I am at school or work all day, and with another round of finals coming up, it is good to just relax and play with them. (Translation: I get to lay on the floor and play with Hot Wheels in my pajamas and people think that I am being a good father.)

We were going to go up to the Children's museum at the Gateway today-- but by the time that Ian got up from his nap, it just wasn't going to happen. We briefly thought about the dinosaur museum at Thanksgiving point, but decided that we weren't really into spending $10 per person today. (Translation: we are cheap and poor). So, we decided to go to the Bean Museum, which has the twin virtues of proximity and frugality. (Translation: it is close and admission is free).

Ian actually got pretty nervous with some of the exhibits-- he wanted me to hold him a lot and he had a hard time looking at some of the bigger predators (the 11ft tall Kodiak Bear gave him a bad case of the Jibblies.) However, he got a big kick out of the Baboon, the fish dioramas and was ready, willing and able to give us his impression of a grizzly bear:
and he enjoyed looking at the cats with Jenny:

And he got a big kick out of some of the dioramas:
Of course, the museum had to have about a dozen hippos (it seems like), and so despite the fact that I tried to draw attention to Cooper, I was unsuccessful in preventing Jenny and Ian from remembering that I had recently been named a member of the Hippopotamus family. (Translation : I came home and finished off Jenny's Ben & Jerry's)

We were in the car on the way home and were talking about all of the animals we had seen. Jenny asked Ian which one was his favorite. His reply? "The dead one."

2 comments:

Angie said...

very cool, I have never heard of this museum before

Robyn said...

So, the hippo was a little scary for Emily. I thought that showing her the pics with Cooper might help her out. Instead, I get a VERY worried look and she says: "hippo eat baby Cooper?" "No", I reassure her, "baby Cooper is OK, Uncle Chris was just being funny." Then the next picture..."hippo bite Uncle Chris?" She certainly does keep things interesting!