2.20.2008

Hooked on phonics worked for me!

In-fang-er

So this isn't meant to offend anyone who has ever mispronounced or misspelled our last name; It's kind of a daunting name to attempt; we applaud your efforts. Mostly, I find it hilarious, all the different things people come up with (ya'll are quite creative!) and decided that it would be entertaining for us to keep track of them over the years. I obviously have only been in on this for the last 5 1/2 years (though I have known Chris's sister, Val, since 7th grade and didn't think it was that weird of a last name). But going from my maiden name, Lamb, to Infanger, some adjustments have been necessary . . . I can't even count the blank stares and confused looks I get when people hear me say our name or try to read it from print. It is especially great over the phone; you have to be careful to say, "'F' as in 'Frank'" when spelling it, because often the "f" sounds like an "s" (which is totally true, I have a hard time with those sounds over the phone, too). Most of the time when I get these reactions from people I (no offense, Infangers) tell the person, no worries--5 years later and I am still getting used to it, too.

You'll have to come back and check this post from time to time, just to see our growing list. Here goes:

  • In-fag-ger (probably the worst yet; halfway through the semester of my Social Work statistics class, good 'ol Dr. Panos is handing back papers and pauses before he comes up with this . . . the funniest part is Chris's cousin Carries was in the class--her Mom is Rex's sister, so her maiden name was Infanger--and she gets totally irritated and practically yells, "It's In-fang-er!" at him. It was great!)
  • Indauger (Chris's Office Depot account)
  • Insanger (Hale Center theater tickets/mailings)
  • In-funj-er
  • In-fun-gur
  • In-fan-ger
  • In-finger
  • Enfanger
  • Iffinger
  • Infauger (this is how Chris was registered to vote in Provo)

2 comments:

Robyn said...

My favorite is "how do you say that?!". Um...just like it is spelled...here's your sign. In-fang-er. Sometimes I have/had to put the emphasis on grrr! Although, it is a handy name when telemarketers call..."hi, is Robyn In..., um, Infun, um, Infunjer there." I could always reply, "sorry, no one by that name lives here." and then hang up. Ahh, the good ol' days, before I became generic.

Angie said...

that's hilarious. It's not that hard of a last name. OH well, makes for good entertainment.