2.07.2008

The Lord works in mysterious ways...

I am always grateful when people speak of the "tender mercies" in their lives. Often this is something I have a hard time seeing when it applies to me. But I am grateful for the times when I am more in tune with all the Lord has blessed me. Most recently, Pres. Hinckley's passing has touched me immensely and done much to help me reflect on my life and how I need to do better. I am so grateful for his life and example. Watching his funeral and various tributes to him has really helped me to reflect on who I am, where I am going, who I want to be become, and what I need to do to become that type of person. I will miss Pres. Hinckley, but am so grateful for the legacy he left us. I hope I can pattern my life after his, as he truly was a man who was striving to be like, and life for, our Savior, Jesus Christ.
I also have been trying to do better at my scripture reading. I had just started the Book of Mormon again and was in the "Testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith" when Pres. Hinckely passed away. On Monday I received an email about a challenge to read the Book of Mormon in 97 in memory of Pres. Hinckley (I send this to many friends and associates, but if you are interested, go to www.hinckleychallenge.com. I joined on Monday and was 11, 540. There are 26,471 today! It is so neat to see Saints join together in good causes!). What perfect timing this was for me, as I often need something external to push me along. I am happy to say that I am on page 17 and am gaining wonderful new insights during this read-through of the Book of Mormon.
I am grateful for Pres. Hinckley's promise when he challenged us to read the Book of Mormon: "Without reservation I promise you that if each of you will observe this simple program, regardless of how many times you previously may have read the Book of Mormon, there will come into your lives and into your homes an added measure of the Spirit of the Lord, a strengthened resolution to walk in obedience to His commandments, and a stronger testimony of the living reality of the Son of God" (“A Testimony Vibrant and True,” Ensign, Aug 2005, 2–6).

That is EXACTLY what I need in my life right now! I have been struggling lately in various ways, but am grateful to see reading the Book of Mormon again as a way to grow closer to Heavenly Father and my Savior and to receive Their Spirit and guidance more in my life. I am so thankful that the Lord promises such amazing blesseings when we are striving to be obedient and live righteously. I know His promises are sure! Because I have felt His Spirit more in the last few days than I have in a long time. (Wow! I am realizing how incredibly personal I am being; I hope you are okay with that; I guess if not, this is my blog and you don't have to read my posts anymore. Ha ha! Just kidding! But I guess this is how I am feeling and what I am doing and thinking in my life right now! Maybe this is good practice for me to open up. Hmmm...even though Chris would say I do that FAR too much and too often with him! LOL)

My last recent tender mercy is one of those ironic ones--being asked to speak in the Saturday session of our stake conference this weekend. When Pres. Parry called, I pretty much knew what he was going to ask. I really wasn't feeling up to speaking (who is ever really thrilled, especially to a big crowd?! Eek!) but of course knew I would say yes. Then he tells me the topic--"Living by the Spirit." Obviously, the Lord knows what I need and knew that is an area I need to work on. What better way to help me in this area than to be given the opportunity to read, study about and prepare a talk on this subject. I will let ya'll know how it goes. But I am grateful for the Lord teaching me through various ways, as difficult as they sometimes may seem at the time.

No comments: